Duck Liver Pate'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duck Liver Pate'

May I share with you my simple way to do a home-made duck liver pate' ?

I understand that it is not easy for most to buy duck livers; but if you have connection (restaurant owners, distributors), ask them to get for you one pound or two of duck livers. You will not regret the effort of asking for a favor.

Ingredients:

* 1lb of fresh duck livers
    * 4 - 6 shallots
    * duck fat (best) or good olive oil or canola oil (about 1 - 2 cup)
    * a shot of cognac/brandy or good Mai Qwe Low
    * freshly ground black pepper, salt to taste

Preparation:

You need to have a blender or food processor (not too big).

Clean the duck livers one by one, discard the blood vessels and bile ducts. Chop them coarsely.

In a medium hot skillet, add some oil (not much) and saute' the minced shallot until fragrant and translucent;

then add the duck liver, increase the heat, cook the liver quickly (2 - 3 minutes) until the livers remain some pink, but not bloody;

off the heat, season GENEROUSLY with ground black pepper, plenty of salt (on the heavy side; it will be diluted with the oil later); then pour the whole thing in the food processor; add the brandy.

Close the lid, cover it with a towel (danger: burn!), then slowly process it while adding good oil (not all at once), in order to form an emulsion. Stop, taste for salt and test for desirable texture (= smooth, not too thick as the pate' will thicken when chilled), add more oil and salt if needed.

Transfer some to a serving bowl; the rest to a container with lid, keep inside the refrigerator for later use.

Use the warm pate' in the serving bowl as a treat; with toasted bread and/or crackers and a glass of red wine.

Variations: add tarragon while sauteing the livers; or

add some cinnamon powder; or any spices you want to venture.

RE: Duck Liver Pate'

Jane: Happy Mother's Day to you !!! How was the dinner??? I would love to see the pic of Beef Wellington??? Why do you have to use duck liver??? What about chicken liver???

Comment

HT:

Chicken livers is OK for the dish, but too "tart".

If you use chicken livers, you may want to add some pork livers in the mix.

Dinner won't be ready for another 6 hours.

Comment

HaiThuy:

I won't have my own pics of beef Wellington for you;

but KitchenAid will!

In the meantime, see it here (mine are much longer, the whole fillet, then cut at the table):

http://www.allenbrothers.com/Product...urces=GoogleAd

Comment

ORIGINAL: HaiThuy

Jane: Happy Mother's Day to you !!! How was the dinner??? I would love to see the pic of Beef Wellington??? Why do you have to use duck liver??? What about chicken liver???

I see the Eruopean use ducks more often.. especially French and Canadian... ionce atea duck liver, duck meat cook in bean with basil leave and something else..it was good

Comment

Does Goose Liver Pate' exist? Maybe I am confused that with Duck liverPate'.Somebody went to Paris and vrought it back as a present.It's good & different .
            There a Japanese lady in my company who cooked chicken liver & hẹ. It taste reall good, have to ask for the recipe & try it on the kids.

Comment

Working...
            X