Bún Cá; Cá Và Bún

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bún Cá; Cá Và Bún

Since I am at a place where very fresh ocean fish such as Monk fish, striped bass, salmon are plentyful (Kennebunk, Maine), so today I am planning to prepare this dish:

Bún Cá; Cá Và Bún
    (serve 8)

Ingredients:

* Monk fish, salmon: head & bones to make broth with onion, garlic, parsley; then drain for clear broth. Fish cut into bite size chunks.

* tomatoes, basil, mints

* carrots, green onion, cilandro, eggplants

* medium or large rice noodles

Preparation:

* Make good fish broth with the fish carcass & head. Add plenty of whole heads of garlic and yellow onion. When íts ready, drain for clear broth; keep simmering with chunks of carrot.

* Saute' chunks of tomato with onion & canola oil, add to the fish broth.

* Cut the fish filets into chunks, marinate with salt, pepper, white part of green onion & cayenne pepper. Then into a 375F oven for about 15 minutes. Oven off.

* Reconstitute the rice noodles, rinse well; into serving bowls, heat them up;

top each bowl with chunks of fish, laddle in ghenerous amount of fish broth; serve họt

What do you think, chefs?

RE: Bún Cá; Cá Và Bún

Jane, thís is actually a pretty good recipe....post pictures when done. OK!
    Còn gặp nhau thì hãy cứ vui
    Chuyện đời như nước chảy hoa trôi
    Lợi danh như bóng mây chìm nổi
    Chỉ có tình thương để lại đời
    (Tôn Nữ Hỷ Khương)

Comment

KA:

Just called the local fish monger down the pier, he offers one 16lbs monk fish with 3 extra heads (free), and one 8lbs salmon. The bill is only $50.

So, I will cook this dish today!

Comment

Mấy cái đầu đó, Jane dùng nấu canh chua ăn...còn không thì dùng làm broth cho nồi nước lèo đó sis...nhớ chụp hình nha...cá tươi thì phải ăn liền mới ngon...hôm nay hỗng phải babysite any patient hả...hahahha
        (Tôn Nữ Hỷ Khương)

Comment

KA: We are on vacation for few days now; currently in Maine.

The monk fish is an ugly creature! Big head (30% of total body weight??) and a tail, full of flavorful flesh; commonly known as "The Lobster Tail Of The Poors". Elsewhere far from the source, one can only buy Mon Fish tails.

So, here, when the boats come in, the fish mongers are nice to the locals, giving the fresh fish heads away, if asked.

(you do not know what kind of efforts I made just to get some rice noodles here, from NewYork City! hahahahahahaha)

Comment

you go that much of effort for 8 bowls of bún cá hả......hahahhahahahaha....they better taste good.....hahhahahahha
            (Tôn Nữ Hỷ Khương)

Comment

KA:

Yesterday I only used 1 monk fish head; 3 were available; but they are too big and the fish monger gave me many pounds of fish carcass, what's left of a fish after filleting. The broth is very rich and very tasty.

The dish was quite good; refreshing for a cold rainy night.

I am sorry, I do not bring camera with me; nor that I have the habit of taking pics. for show. May be, once I retired, I will do so.

Comment

JS: I'm still thinking about cooking xương cá , đầu cá for broth. Wish I could have a taste of your bún cá.
                Did some grocery shopping at lunch, wow the fish maw cost an arm & a leg

Comment

tennismom:

It was the very first time I made this dish; and the reason for it is that here in Maine, there are plenty of very fresh ocean fish, and the housekeeper is the older sister of a fish monger.

Flat fish carcass (flat fish = halibut, sole) is best for fish broth; but the monfish head is also great.

Do you know that the salmon head is good for many reasons, including for healthier bones?

Comment

Salmon head : is it because of the cartalage in it? I ate it once or twice , it's tasty but just imagine my kids' faces when they saw a fish head on a plate

Comment

ORIGINAL: tennismom

Salmon head : is it because of the cartalage in it? I ate it once or twice , it's tasty but just imagine my kids' faces when they saw a fish head on a plate
                      Yes, it's the cartilage at the nose and mouth of the salmon head.

How about to cut the fish head into 4 or 6 pieces befpre cooking?

I saw the Chinese cooking salmon head with pickled cabbage (ca?i muo^'i chua) + herbs.

Comment

Jane :That's a good idea about cutting the head into 4 before cooking. I'll see if they sell it at Albertson or Sam's.

Comment

The same old "blame" works here too!

We used to get the great King salmon heads for free;

until the asian show up; salmon head is being sold at $2/lb at certain market! (per my Vietnamese helpers)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Comment

Comment

Hai ba` nầy thiệt là không biết hưởng thụ , trong con cá ngon nhất là đầu cá mà đòi đem đi nấu broth. 1 đầu cá là tốn ba xị đó HAHAHAHAHA

Comment

Working...
                              X